Mid Year Mission Action Update

As part of First Christian Church's Outreach efforts, we designate a different non-profit organization each month to receive a financial contribution.  We also encourage our members to learn more about these different organizations in the hope that some of them will choose to get involved and make their own contributions of either time or money to help the work that these groups do.  So far in 2016, the monthly recipients of these donations have been Meals on Wheels, Habitat for Humanity, the Larkin Street Youth Service, CROP (the hunger relief program of Church World Service), the Christian Help Center, and Week of Compassion (the disaster relief organization of our denomination).  We are already looking forward to a July donation for Mercy Corps, and are considering various options for August.  This is all in addition to our monthly giving to the Disciples Mission Fund as well as weekly donations of canned food and home grown produce from our Johnson Memorial Garden to various food pantries in our area.  In fact, we recently harvested a large amount of potatoes and peas to donate with squash and other produce being planted to harvest this Fall.

In April, we participated in the annual Vallejo CROP Hunger Walk and helped to raise over $7,500 with 75% of the money going to CROP and the other 25% being split among four worthy local organizations.  One of those local organizations is the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano County which is in great need of volunteers, so we are now starting to get the word out to the congregation to see if some will be able to help out in this great work.  We will also be encouraging our members to participate as we always do in the annual American Cancer Society Relay for Life in early August.  And plans are already in the work for our biggest Outreach effort of the year, the Global Holiday Faire that takes place on the first Saturday of December.